1958

Glenview, Illinois 

rugen bldg alone best.jpg
bw rugins.jpg

Rugen Stores, on Glenview Road, originally opened in 1905. A kind of early mini-mall, it housed grocery, hardware, clothing, and dry goods under one roof. Print #104

gview house best nov.jpg
bw glenview house.jpg
1901

After John Dilg purchased Al Eustis's tavern in 1889 he added a third floor. Known as Dilg's Tavern or the Glen View House the building

became a social and civic center. Print #96

grandpas1902.jpg
grandpasbw.jpg
1909

In 1889, H.L. Harms built this saloon a block North of Glenview Road. Later the Rugen family operated Grandpa's for over 50 years. Print #107

patio.jpg
bwpatio.jpg
1952
1965

The Patio Shops were added to the downtown business district in the 1950s. Among the businesses located there were Chip's Casuals and Chick's n Chaps. Print #108

rugen best parade 12x18.jpg
bwrugen.jpg

4th of July Parade down Glenview Road in 1965, Print #102